Wednesday, April 7, 2010

This first time Mom's Birth Story

I wrote this with the help of the labor notes the midwives took...

I used a midwife and gave birth in her birthing center. I was not induced, therefore I was 8 days past due. First pregnancy, first birth. I was in labor for about 13 hours.

So on 1/7/2010, 7 days past due, I went to see Molly the midwife for my weekly checkup. She told me I was 1cm dilated and 90% effaced and Jay was sitting at 0 station which meant he was finally engaged. She then told me it would still probably be 7-10 days considering I am a first time mom and my cervix had only dilated .5cm in a week. I was happy with the progress and went on my way. It was just a normal day at home. So Ricky and I went to bed fairly late at about midnight or so. I can't really remember.

I do know I did not sleep well. I kept tossing and turning, never getting comfortable. I kept thinking I'll never have enough rest if I go in labor. I am not kidding when I tell you "labor" kept creeping into my restless thoughts which I just thought was a normal night. I finally convinced myself to get out of bed and go pee. When I Did I discovered I had "bloody show" accompanied by loose bowels. TMI, maybe but no one said labor was pretty. So I decided to google the two of those symptoms in relation to labor. I found they could be signs labor would start soon about the time I realized I was actually having contractions. I wrote down the time as 2:54AM on 1/8/2010. I didn't want to say anything in case it was false labor so I started timing the contractions to see if there was any consistency. Turned out they were various in length anywhere from 20-40 seconds already at 3-4 minutes apart. So I kept thinking should I call Mary and Dad so they will get
here on time...or wait it out? Then I decided I should probably tell Ricky first. So I woke him up about 3:10am and for once it didn't take much to get him alert! He told me I should go ahead and call Molly to see if what I was feeling was really labor. So I called Molly and got the instructions...I was to eat, try to rest, settle down!, not call anyone because she needed to check me and didn't want family disturbing the progress of labor and to call her when I couldn't cope anymore. Ricky and I decided to only partially listen and we waited until 5am to call Dad and Mary. In the meantime I ate sausage biscuits and drank some water. I tried to lie down but decided instead to take a bath. At first I thought the contractions slowed so I watched them to see if they sped back up. Ricky called my dad at 5 am while I was sitting the tub and he didn't answer! So we called Mary and Dad Finally answered. He knew immediately what was going on and only wanted to
know what time it was. Mary called me back a couple minutes later and I updated her on my status and what Molly had said. After I got off the phone I decided to go ahead and get out of the tub and take a shower. After I got outta the shower I coped by walking all over the house and they progressed into some strong I can't cope contractions. Ricky swayed with me and tried to hold me laying down but that was quickly NOT an option. So I told Ricky I can't do it anymore, it's time to go. I called Molly and my parents to let them know we were going to the birth center at 6:45 am.
of course we were lucky enough to get stuck behind a school bus!?!? Ricky took the back roads and the bumps actually eased the contractions a bit.
As soon as we walked into the birth center Molly was there to greet us with a smile. You could tell this time is the part of midwifery that drives her. Soon after our arrival I was hit with a contraction. Molly had me lean on her in a way that put all my weight on her and we swayed. We did that for a while but I found that I had the distinct desire to walk away the pain. Molly decided it was time to check me and she talked to me about not getting upset if I wasn't far along in labor. We had to wait until I was in between contractions to check which made all the tests take forever. So molly checked me at 7:53 and was surprised to see I was dilated to 4 cm and 100 effaced! It was then I announced to the world via facebook I was dilated to 4 cms @ 8:34 am. Molly and one of the student midwifes, Jenee were happy if not surprised by my progress. So I continued coping by sitting on an exercises ball and walking. Still having bowel movements throughout the day. I tried eating but found the food made me nauseated. I managed to drink some of
a smoothie and ate some tortilla soup but mostly I wanted water. At that point in time molly and jenee started putting the birthing tub together. After two hours they checked me again and I had the unfortunate experience of experiencing a contraction laying down. At 10:08 I was only dilated to a 5 and my cervix had become "rigid" and had slowed down. Regardless, Molly said I was ready to get in the tub. So I changed into my birthing pool outfit which was a black nightgown I bought from kohls. At 11:18 I got into the birthing tub. As soon as I got in the tub my parents showed up! I was very happy they were not going to miss it. The next 6 hours are blurry to me so the following is mostly heresay. :-) I remember Molly telling me that jay had dropped to 2 station so I was feeling the pressure most women don't feel until pushing time and that my cervix at that time was only at a 6. I remember feeling and thinking like I couldn't do it. The front cervix cramps were intense and the back labor I was feeling was being eradicated by my Mary, who
faithfully massaged my backside for 5 hours straight. There was no position I could get in to help the front contractions. I also remember distinctly Molly telling me to get my act together. She firmly told me my only option was to get in a car and drive to Weatherford and then have to deal with the hospital and doctors or I could surrender to my body. Turns out she wanted me to stop thinking negatively. If I recall correctly I went back and forth on those thoughts until that point. Molly gave me something to help my cervix and according to my Mary she gave me something to relax me. At the point of surrender which I did I was falling asleep between contractions. I am not sure if that was the best way because it felt like they snuck up on me but regardless I surrendered and starting trying to only have positive thoughts. At 12:30 my water broke and the fluid was clear. and I was nauseated and vomited a couple times. At 1:40 I was dilated to a 6 and was 95 % effaced and he was already at 2 station! This caused me to have more pressure than some women feel until they get to the pushing stage. At 3:03 I completed active labor and finally had the urge to push. Apparently, I had an intact hymeneal ring which had to be softened, along with my perineum (no episiotomy done) before getting him out. I only pushed with contractions (contractions still never got closer than about 3 minutes apart) and the pushing stage lasted a little over an hour. He was born at 4:06 pm. I delivered the placenta at 4:35 PM.
Jay Alexander was 10 pounds 5 ounces, 21 3/4 inches

His APGAR was 8 when he was born, at 2 mins he was at a 9, and at 5 mins he was at a 10. I only had one 1st degree tear that required stitches.

The people involved in the birth of Jay included three midwives, Molly, Kasie, and Jenee. Ricky, my dad, and my Mary. Words can not express the joy and love felt and heard in that room when Jay was born. It is a time I hope I never ever forget.

I could not have done it without the awesome support of my primary midwife Molly. She proved to me time and time again she KNEW what she was doing! I really see midwifery in a whole new light and I am truly an advocate! It was amazing and in the future, I know I could not consider or settle for anything less in quality of care.

1 comment:

Autumn said...

What a beautiful story! Thank you so much for sharing it with The Virtual Red Tent!! I adore the photographs too :)